Thursday, July 16, 2015

Unique experience in Tokyo: Introduction


My Tokyo travel posts will most likely span over a month based on my blogging pace. Bear with me as I am going to try to put together the complete and useful info for those who plan to travel for the first time or those who haven't visited in a long time.

A few blogger friends who live in Asia probably agree with me that traveling in Asia is not ranked high on their travel wish list. I know it was quite true for me when I lived back home. Europe or America sounded more interesting and different in terms of culture, weather and architectures. Hence my desire to visit Asian countries was not that strong.

Now that I have lived on another side of the earth for over a decade, I miss everything about Asia. Be it people, culture, food, cities and way of life. I miss them all so much. So after we decided to include Tokyo as our side trip while en route to my motherland, the search began. I had 3 months to do my research to come up with some fun things for us to explore.

After hours, days and weeks of web browsing and YouTube viewing, I got tired of seeing the same old tourist attractions after tourist attractions. Sensoji Temple, Meiji Shrine, Tokyo Skytree, Tsukiji Fish Market, Shinjuku, Harajuku, Akihabara, Yoyoki Park and the list went on. To be honest with you, I didnt have a desire to go to the tourist traps where you cram yourself among other 500 tourists. Those places sounded great. I still wanted to visited some major attractions but I wanted to explore more.

So I asked myself what I really wanted out of this trip. My answer was I want to experience Japanese culture, connect with local people and see the way of life. Okay how? I didn't know or have any Japanese friends. Good news folks, in this day and age anything is possible with globalization and Internet. I was ecstatic when I came across some information which perfectly suited what I was looking for. I knew this trip would be very fulfilling and super fun. If you are wondering what to do there, you may want to consider at least one of these activities. Guarantee to be very different and unique. I am going to fill you in on how/where to: 1) Wear a Yukata/a Kimono 2) Attend a Japanese Tea Ceremony. 3) Connect and make friends with the locals. Stay tune ;)
 
 photo jpfm16_zpsspwoilhj.jpg

3 comments:

  1. Nelah, I'm so glad you looked for more than the regular tourist things to do. That says so much! CULTURE is everything. And to immerse yourself in it is fabulous. I can't wait to read more.
    http://www.averysweetblog.com/

    ReplyDelete
  2. Asia is ranked high on my travel list and Tokyo is up there so I'm absolutely thrilled you will be sharing your personal experience as well as travel tips Nelah. I'm glad to hear you immersed yourself in the culture. That's really the best way to fully connect with a foreign country and I'm looking forward to hearing all about your adventures. Have a marvelous new week my friend!

    Rowena @ rolala loves

    ReplyDelete

I love and appteciate your comment, thank you so much for visiting and taking the time to leave me your thoughts.

I enjoy exploring new blogs and connect with new people, but no "Follow me & i will follow you" kind of comment, please.