Saturday, January 16, 2016

Light & Healthier Banana Bread

b1
 
For years, I searched high and low for banana bread recipes but couldn't find the one that tasted just right for my personal preference. Some people may like their banana bread very sweet, dense and heavy but I like mine less sweet and lighter in texture. I tried several recipes but all of them resulted in a very dense texture and tasted way to sweet for my liking until I experimented something different. Ever since I started eating more fruits in the past 3 yeas, I notice that I do not crave sugary stuff as much as I used to. Banana itself has natural sweetness and I feel it is sweet as is. Hence no need to add a cup of sugar on top of that.
 
So perhaps banana muffins would produce the texture that I wanted. Voila, my prayer had been answered! I got mine banana bread exactly how I wanted. I must really like this banana bread so much because I have made this 3 times in one month. I significantly altered from the original recipe to suit my preference. If you like a dense, heavy and very sweet banana bread, this recipe may not be right for you.
b2 b3
 
Ingredients:
 
Dry
1 cup Spelt Flour
1/2 cup All Purpose Flour
1/4 tsp Baking Soda
1/4 tsp Baking Powder
1/2 tsp Cinnamon Powder
 
Wet
3 tbsp Unsalted Butter (melted)
1/2 cup Yogurt (Plain Greek Yogurt will work too)
1 Egg
1/8 cup Brown Sugar (if you want it to taste sweeter, add more)
3 Banana (Mashed)
A few drops of Vanilla Extract (optional)
 
Topping
1/2 - 1 tbsp Brown Sugar A handful of raw walnuts
A handful of raw sliced almonds with skin 1/2 tsp
Cinnamon Powder
 
b4 b5 b6 b7
 
Heat an oven to 375F. Mix dry ingredients together
b8
 
Whisk egg and brown sugar together, add butter and yogurt. Mix well.
b9
 
Mash banana then add the mashed banana to the wet ingredient. Mix well.
b10
 
Add dry ingredients to the wet and gently fold. Do not over mix. Pour into a prepared baking pan.
b11
 
Prepare the topping.
b12
 
I felt like adding chocolate this time so I sprinkled some Cocoa Nibs.
b13 b14
 
Sprinkle the topping on top. Bake for 30 mins. After 20 minutes or so, the aroma filled my entire house.
b15
 
Voila! Here is the final result. Moist, light, fluffy and delicious!
b16 b17

4 comments:

  1. Mmmmm, your recipe sounds really tasty. To be honest, I wouldn't prefer the sweetest option, so thanks for sharing your way of preparing a banana bread. I can imagine how addictive it is, having in mind you prepared it 3 times in one month!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This sounds amazing! Thanks so much for sharing. Thanks too for commenting on my blog; it led me to yours!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Looks yummy <3

    Would you like to follow each other on GFC? If yes just let me know once done and I'll follow back =))

    http://beautorgeousworld.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete

I love and appteciate your comment, thank you so much for visiting and taking the time to leave me your thoughts.

I enjoy exploring new blogs and connect with new people, but no "Follow me & i will follow you" kind of comment, please.